Friday, November 24, 2006

Gotta Love a PR

How I achieved a PR (4:28:23)at the Marine Corps Marathon on October 29:

Speedwork - you can visit Runners World for an explanation behind "Yasso 800's" and finding the right pace for your speed workout. A MUST for anyone wanting to improve performance.
Mid-Week Interval Training - to help build lactate threshold
Starting out Slow and Steady- A painful lesson learned in Boston. While I was anxious those first miles, I held back.
Drinking Early in the Race - I was well hydrated before the race and continued to drink early in the race.
Increased Gel Consumption - I tried consuming a few more gels than usual
Finding a Training Partner - I joined a local running club (the best $15 I ever spent) and found a running partner with similar goals.
Finding the Right Race - The Marine Corps Marathon was a really beautiful course. There were some bottlenecks at the finish line that need to be worked out, but I'd run this race again in a heart beat.

No comments: