Friday, January 16, 2009

Praise be thy Feet

Training for the London Marathon started last Monday. I've begun a new and rather intense training program from the Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training's "Run Less, Run Faster" book. If you want to view my training program, go here for a PDF. The idea is to run fewer days per week but at higher intensity. Three key workouts consist of a speed workout to improve VO2Max, mid-week tempo run to improve lactate threshold, and a longer paced run on the weekend to build endurance. In all, I am going to run five 20-milers leading up to the marathon, something I have never done before. Three weekdays will be spent cross training (I have decided on spinning, swimming, and yoga) and one day rest per week. I am looking forward to winter training - generally colder and usually more lonely but it beats having to get out for a long run on an 80 degree morning. Right now it's been snowing a ton and the below-zero temps have me running indoors, which totally sucks, but there's nothing I can do about it. Tomorrow's long run is an 18 miler - which will take me about 3 hours on a treadmill. Hopefully soon the weather will warm up so I can get out for my long runs. Cheers for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Koko,

How is everything going? I emailed you last year sometime and also recently but no response. I live in Louisiana, have MS and run as well--remember?

Thanks,
Corey

koko said...

Hey Corey - leave your email and I'll follow up with you via email!
Koko