Sunday, March 24, 2013

Biltmore Duathlon Race Report

I am usually a middle of the pack racer, but I was more like an end of the pack racer at this year's inaugural duathlon on Biltmore Estate March 23 But hey, it's early in the season and for someone with absolutely zero mountain bike and trail running experience, thats ok. I managed to finish the 5K run, followed by a 10 mile off road mountain bike ride through mostly unseen (by the public) dirt and gravel backroads of the Biltmore Estate, followed by a challenging second 5K run through the wooded forest above the Biltmore Winery on a narrow and winding single track path (in a little over 2 hours).  Most of what went through my mind today was how my midwestern running/tri peeps would have enjoyed the beauty and undulating terrain which lent itself to this gorgeous and crazy fun race. This race is definitely worth a du-over next year. (I crack myself up sometimes).  The second thing I couldn't stop thinking about is how much I have fallen in love with Asheville and its racing community.

Ten miles is my longest mountain bike ride ever, and while it requires a lot more work compared to a road bike, the places your mountain bike can take you has me thinking that I  definitely need to invest in one.

This race is memorable for a few reasons. I often run at the Biltmore Estate by myself, but today I  witnessed a large pack of colorfully dressed runners streamlined down my usual path that parallels the French Broad River. To finally see races happening here is terrific. We ran to the Lagoon on a paved trail that eventually looks up to the grande Biltmore House, and then back to T1. Jumping on our mountain bikes, we headed out over the French Broad River to the West side of the estate that is typically off limits to guests. The first few miles were all up hill, passing cows, barns,  past pristine lakes, past vineyards, and through narrow wooded roads where (near the end of the pack and often feeling secluded) I expected a bear and her cubs to cross my path at any moment.  As we reached the height of each climb, we picked up speed on  downhill portions, and sharp turns, and at every moment I couldn't wait to see what was around the corner. The second reason this race is memorable is for its sheer beauty. At one point I think I let four cyclists pass me because I had to stop and take photos.

Once back at T2, we headed out on foot behind the Biltmore Winery, another uphill run for at least a mile up a service road, and then headed into a wooded forest in which our single track dirt path was only marked by orange ties on the trees (more firsts for me). There we zig-zagged up, and then down, and then up again, through the trees with careful attention to footing as I continued to trip on rocks and tree roots almost every step. Once back on the service road, the last three quarters of a mile or so was downhill to the finish.

After all these years of racing (I've been doing marathons for nearly 10 years now), Forrest never ceases to amaze me. He showed up to watch my race.  I love that guy!  And I highly recommend this race!

No comments: