Thursday, November 05, 2009

Return to Marine Corps Marathon


2009 was a year of PR's. MCM was no exception. A 4:22:26 finish, a five minute improvement over London earlier this year.

Lauren Baumgarten (second from left) and I "officially met" via email as members of the 2007 NYC Marathon team raising money for the New York Chapter of the National M.S. Society. Unfortunately, on race day, delays in getting to the start prevented us from being able to meet in person until two years later. When I did not get picked for the NYC Marathon lottery for 2009, I bought a bib from another runner and joined Lauren and her friends in Washington D.C. for a wonderful marathon weekend. Jamie Masson (third from left) works with Lauren( who is a nurse) and is a pulminary doctor and Anita is a high school math teacher. It was great returning to Washington D.C. where I PR'd 4 years earlier. I forgot how hilly the marathon course was, but in the end, I truly enjoyed running it and experiencing the sights through the eyes of Lauren, who had never seen our nation's capitol before now. After the marathon, we grazed on hamburgers and beer, took a nap, and then let our tired feet walk around the national mall. We saw Lincoln's memorial for a second time in the same day, only this time it was empty of tourists, solemn, and beautiful. We proceeded to the F.D.R. memorial, which was built 10 years ago. Having been to Washington D.C. many times, I never knew this memorial existed and it was stunning to view at night. We made note of the beautiful silhouette made by the Washington monument as the nearby lights shone upon it. Makes me proud and grateful for our nation's founders. On to Berlin!
P.S. I was briefly interviewed by a local media outlet in D.C. My three seconds of fame...

No comments: