Friday, August 27, 2010

Injuries

For now, I'll just call it a stress fracture, the newest injury to add to my running repertoire. Bruised toenails, tight IT-Band, sore hamstrings, plantar fasciitis, they are all tolerable, however, the stress fracture trumps all other injuries. An MRI couldn't pinpint exactly what it was, but the bone itself was inflamed so I spent most of June and part of July with my foot in a bucket of ice, unable to run for about 7 weeks. It is now almost September 1 and I've managed to heal and get out on the trail once again. I've got a 10 miler, 13 miles, 15 miler and an 18 miler in for my long runs. As with other obstacles I've had to overcome during training, you deal with it and on race day you inevitably question whether you've put enough training in to achieve your goal, whatever it is. At this point, I am feeling optimistic because I've run a marathon before. In fact, more than a few times. A PR is an unlikely outcome, but I'm going to give it my best! Berlin, here I come!

P.S. This one is for the Greater Illinois Chapter of the National MS Society. If you'd care to donate, I'm trying to raise $5,000. Here is a link to my fundraising page.

No comments: